West Melbourne Literary Institute: A history
Ken James, Camberwell, [Victoria] 2014.
5 in stock
Summary: The West Melbourne Literary Institute was established at a public meeting in 1864. A building was erected at 266 William Street which served as a Circulating Library and Reading Rooms and also hosted public meetings, the Swedish Church and a Temperance Lodge. Its founders and committee members included politicians and prominent businessmen. It wound up in 1934 after the original building was replaced by a new Queen Victoria Hospital building.
Bio: Ken James is a former teacher and historian who has written and self-published more than thirty books, some of which have been co-authored.