Uniting Church celebrates 150 years of history.

In 2004 the Uniting Church congregation of Mark the Evangelist will celebrate its contribution to the history of the North Melbourne community over the past 150 years. The sesquicentenary celebrations ...
Read More

Cornelius O’Mahony and the Catalpa rescue

During the 19th century there were many schools in North and West Melbourne and those we still have today are descendants of some of those early schools. St Mary’s Primary ...
Read More

Education in North and West Melbourne

Catholics have played a major role in schooling in the area since 1886. St Mary's parish in West Melbourne was established in 1854. The ‘old' St Mary's church and school ...
Read More

Burke and Wills – 150 years celebration

Burke and Wills - 150years celebration When Burke and Wills rode away from the Royal Society building on the edge of what is now the city of Melbourne, there was ...
Read More

Billy Maloney: a prize speaker with a humanitarian heart

The past and the present in North Melbourne well and truly mixed from 5 to 10 December last year. A week of performances of an exciting new play, Billy Maloney, ...
Read More

Bastow’s rich past lives on

It’s been a long time coming but finally, in July, the Bastow Institute opened its doors to students and teachers. However, the students are not the primary aged children for ...
Read More

West Melbourne Baptist Church

During the 20th century, much of the historic 19th-century building fabric of West Melbourne was destroyed. A case in point is the West Melbourne Baptist Church. In 1866 a bluestone ...
Read More

Arriving and thriving

On Wedneday the 5th of August around sixty current and former North Melbourne residents gathered at the Town Hall for an evening of oral history. Part of the Arriving and ...
Read More

A history of the printing school site

The site of the RMIT Printing School was originally part of the two-acre Presbyterian Church reserve bounded by Curzon, Elm, Union and Queensberry Streets. The Denominational School Board donated a ...
Read More

John Monash: a man of war and peace

John Monash's connection to North and West Melbourne did not end with his early childhood in Dudley Street. In 1887 what would become a lifelong interest in military affairs saw ...
Read More

Melbourne Benevolent Asylum 150th anniversary procession.

Blue and white streamers and balloons decorated some of the streets of North and West Melbourne on Friday 10 November. This time, however, the celebration was not a Grand Final ...
Read More

Fifty years gone.

A few days ago, we calculated that we have lived in North Melbourne for more than half a century. We thought to ourselves, what's changed in that time? The street ...
Read More

Hotham Borough named in 1859

In 1859 the area that is known as North Melbourne was named the Hotham borough, after the governor of Victoria Charles Hotham. Hotham's first Post Office opened on 20 March ...
Read More

Let’s hear it for Hotham

Historic Bowls Day—20 March 2005 The City of Melbourne Bowls Club was delighted to welcome members and friends of the Hotham History Project to our joint Heritage Bowls Day on ...
Read More

The old Temperance Hall: a historical journey

by Jillian Ball Approaching the old hall at 456 Queensberry Street, between Leveson and Chetwynd streets, the visitor might notice the unusual entry, which has a bay-windowed shop on either ...
Read More

The lost picture palaces of North and West Melbourne

by Miriam Manne In the late 1970’s I saw a poster advertising holiday screenings of a series of Shirley Temple films at the Central Theatre (now the Lithuanian Club) at ...
Read More

St Mary Star of the Sea

by Jullian Ball St Mary Star of the Sea Catholic Church in West Melbourne has a new chapel, dedicated to the the Madonna del Terzito. Located near the base of ...
Read More

Six men in a seat.

by Bill Hannan As we drew close to the federal election, the nature of representation in the Melbourne electorate took on a fresh interest. ABC psephologist Antony Green called today's ...
Read More

Sesquicentenary of the forerunner of the Errol Street Primary School

2007 marks the 150th anniversary of the opening of Mrs Elizabeth Ann Mattingley's Infant School in her double-storey weatherboard house at 18 Errol Street, near where Errol's Bakehouse Pantry operates ...
Read More

Prince of Angels

The story of St Michael’s Church, North Melbourne, 1907-2007 Prince of Angels, the latest publication of the Hotham History Project, had a dramatic launching in St Michael's Church on Hotham ...
Read More

Local hall takes us on a walk through our past

by Bill Hannan One of the first history walks conducted by the Hotham History Project was a - pub walk. It seemed right, therefore, that the Project should organise a ...
Read More

The corner grocery shop

by Carolyn Whiting (nee Howe) Do you remember the corner grocery shops? Carolyn Whiting does and printed below are some of her memories. In the days before the large supermarkets, ...
Read More

Carolyn’s story

Carolyn's story by Carolyn Whiting (nee Howe) We lived in a two-storey terrace at 594 Spencer Street, West Melbourne, between Hawke and Abbotsford streets. My parents slept in the front ...
Read More

Lest we forget

by Lorna Hannan The monument at the Victoria Street end of Errol Street was erected by the local Red Cross to honour men from North and West Melbourne who fought ...
Read More

Hotham History visits Jack’s Magazine.

by Lorraine Siska. In March, Hotham History Project members found their way to this remarkable 19th-century edifice that nestles inside impressive bluestone walls on the banks of the Maribyrnong River ...
Read More

Hotham History Project – Rough Diamond

by Mary Kehoe After the business of the meeting, there will be a reading from the play Rough Diamond, by John Baldwin Buckstone, as a precursor to a performance to ...
Read More

Holding onto our history

by Janet Graham FIRST STOP was the locker room, past reception at street level. Bags had to be left here, as did pens, in very efficient individual lockers with personal ...
Read More

Historic precinct a rare treasure

by Mary Kehoe How many know that the small block bounded by Curzon, Queensberry, Union and Elm streets contains the highest concentration of buildings in North and West Melbourne listed ...
Read More

Evoking a sense of place – two stories of West Melbourne

by Lorraine Siska and David Evans Earlier this year Hotham History Protect members Lorraine Siska and David Evans gave presentations on two 19th-century men and their families whom they had ...
Read More

Errol Street 100 Years Apart

by Mary Kehoe There were enormous changes in the Errol Street Shopping Centre in the 100 years that separate these two photos. The shop now occupied by Gary Bohmer's Pharmacy ...
Read More
Loading...